Super Bowl weekend can take it out of you. Once all the gorilla millionaires have cleared the field to go sip champagne in a private jet, you’re left vacuuming up Chex Mix while your buddy crushes empty beer cans on his forehead. After cleaning up and popping a few Tylenol for that nagging hangover, you deserve to take it easy.
Make supper as simple as possible, and try to get a few veggies in there meat-head.
This is a soup that magically transforms into ooey gooey lasagna in the bowl. Alchemy at its best.
1 pound Italian sausage, or a mix of ground pork and beef
2 Tbsp. butter
about a dozen button mushrooms, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 can, 28 oz. diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup 10% half & half cream
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup baby shell pasta
3/4 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or provolone)
salt, pepper, oregano to taste
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble into deep pot over medium-high heat. Cook until no longer pink. Remove meat with slotted spoon to a bowl discard most fat left in the pot.
- Add butter, let it melt before whisking in flour. Let flour cook a minute or so before adding mushrooms & zucchini to pot. Stir well and return meat to pot and add tomatoes, let it come up to a boil.
- In another pot, cook pasta until al dente and set aside.
- Reduce tomato pot to a simmer before adding cream and pasta, let simmer briefly. If too thick add some water. Adjust seasoning and add oregano.
- Divide cheese among soup bowls and ladle soup over top to melt the cheese.
- Tell traditional lasagna to start lookin’ for a day job.