Spring is just around the corner yet the subtle threat of snow is still in the air, so it’s time to cram in the last of those starchy comfort foods while you still can. Soon it’s going to be salad city, this might be your last chance to jump on the gravy train.
Meatballs are the ultimate comfort food, whether in marinara or swedish, with gravy or sweet & sour. Served over rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or polenta, meatballs and starch belong together. There are so many ways to prepare them and each one so simple. What follows is a recipe that goes perfectly with flannel pyjamas, slippers and beer.
This recipe has been handed down through generations of lazy cooks. It never fails to delight guests while providing the highest level of comfort a dish can achieve.
2-1 mixture of beef to pork
dry sage & oregano
1 can of mushroom soup
1 bottle of beer.
- Mix everything together aside from the soup and the beer. Eyeball the amounts, or don’t even follow this and make your own go-to meatball recipe.
- Roll out balls in whatever size you like.
- Fry them in a cast iron pan just to brown a bit.
- Mix soup and beer together.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on simmer until done.
- Serve over buttery mashed potatoes.
- Crack a beer.
- Eat on the couch while watching “Meatballs”, “Porky’s” or “Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman”.