A guest post from our good friend, the founder and editor of www.spotlighttoronto.com, Suresh Doss
My Favourite Breakfast
Baked Eggs in Tomatoes
– medium sized tomatoes
– Fresh Basil
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Salt / Pepper to taste
– Preheat the oven to 375degrees
– Chop fresh basil and toss them in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper to create a rub.
– Cut out the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. You want nice hollow centres so when you drop the egg, it stays in place.
– Rub the inside of the tomato generously with the basil rub.
– Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet, and put them into the oven for 8-10 minutes. If you wish to wrap a piece of proscuitto or bacon around the tomato, cook for a longer period of time.
– Take the tomatoes out, and drop an egg into each. Try not to crack the yolk.
– Place the tomatoes carefully back in the oven for another 8-10 minutes, until desired doneness.
– Sprinkle a little basil, salt over the tomato and serve immediately.
It’s a very flexible recipe that you can play with. I like to add proscuitto and a variety of other herbs and seasonings.
This could even be a good appetizer course at dinner time, topped with some smoked salmon and creme fraiche or splashed with truffle oil and some tarragon leaves.
Suresh eats very very well and all over the province. He takes lots of pictures of what he’s having for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Join the thousands of happy food fanatics who follow Suresh’s every move on Twitter here