This is a salad that Drake Sous Chef, Nick auf der Mauer put together after I gave him some La Maison du Gibier smoked red deer meat from Fiesta Farms. He found the meat really smokey so he chose to temper that with some sweetness and spice. The resulting salad is a work of art and very simple to make, especially if you buy frozen puff pastry.
Measurements are not given as this is a composed salad so you can put as much or as little of each ingredient as you like. You won’t be making a traditional dressing for the salad as some of the components in the recipe become a sort of de-constructed dressing that all comes together in the eating!
- puff pastry rounds baked to golden brown, you’ll need 2 for each plate
- roasted butternut squash
- spiced pecans (recipe to follow)
- creme fraiche or sour cream
- blueberry compote
- any salad greens – watercress, baby spinach or arugula
- smoked red deer meat
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Put 1 cup of blueberries in a pot with a Tbsp. of sugar and a splash of vanilla and let cook until a thick mush. Tada! Blueberry compote!
- Peel and thinly slice rounds of butternut squash from the fat end of the squash. Season and toss with a little olive oil before roasting at 400 for 7-10 minutes or until soft.
- Lay out a bed of greens on each plate then layer puff pastry, squash and pecans. Add a drizzle of compote and some creme fraiche.
- Top the salad with another puff pastry round and the red deer then spoon the compote around, then the creme fraiche.
- Give it a little seasoning with salt and pepper then finish with a quick drizzle of olive oil.
Do let us know if you make it and share any tips with us in the comments.